The Magician (a campaign-specific core class)

Ciaran

First Post
This is a new character class for my current campaign, a heavily Scandinavian-flavored setting which I am in the process of converting from the Burning Wheel rules. I'd already established that magicians (including the magician PC) have a narrow repertoire of spells, but given how tightly focused spells are in D&D, I've established the magician's system of runes as a compromise mechanism for narrowing the magician's focus while still permitting him a broad range of spells. (I'd originally planned on using the sorcerer, but the magician's player balked; he likes having lots of spells. :D )

In terms of gauging the abilities of the class, note that I'm awarding feats at every odd level rather than at every 3rd level. In addition, there is no divine magic in the setting, nor do any of the core D&D spellcasting classes exist. Lastly, we are not using XP, hence the mechanics for avoiding XP costs; the entire group will level up at my discretion.

The group has been on hiatus for several months since the group demanded the shift from BW to D&D, so there's still time to revise the class further before we start play. Any commentary is welcome, with the understanding that "it's not balanced against the Cleric / Druid / Sorcerer / Wizard" is irrelevant. :D

----

Magician

Runic sorcery is a rare and powerful art. The runes are not mere letters on a page, but symbolic keys to the cosmos, and only a trained and disciplined mind can unlock their power. Sorcery is a matter of long study and ritual initiation, demanding years of apprenticeship to grasp the force of the runes. Only a few have the wealth or the talent to win apprenticeship in the art.

The class functions as a 3.5e wizard in most respects. A magician has the same hit dice, skill points, class skills and spells per day as a wizard. Like a wizard, the magician gains two new spells per level, and can learn more during play from other magicians or from books.

Feats: At 1st level, a magician gains the Eschew Materials feat in addition to Scribe Scroll and Summon Familiar. At 2nd, 6th, 10th, 14th and 18th level, a magician gains a bonus feat. At each such opportunity he can choose a metamagic feat, an item creation feat, Extra Rune, Rune Focus or Spell Secret.

Spells: Unlike wizards, magicians do not prepare spells. A magician knows all his spells by heart, allowing him to cast spontaneously as a sorcerer does, but without a sorcerer’s limit on spells known. In addition to spells from the Wizard spell list, he also gains access to many spells on the Cleric and Druid spell lists. Some spells, such as resurrection magic, may function differently in this setting. Consult your DM for more information on specific spells.

Learning a new spell from a teacher or a written text takes one day of dedicated study per spell level; the student must know an appropriate rune and must make a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + spell’s level). If a magician fails a check to learn a new spell, he may not try again until he gains another rank in Spellcraft.

Components: Any spell with expensive material components requires an additional rune of the magician’s choice. Replace all material components listed in the spell description with components appropriate to the additional rune. For example, a version of identify using the Pyre rune might require 100gp worth of rare woods and incense, whose swirling smoke reveals the item’s powers to the magician. Another version of the spell using the Man rune might call for rune-graven human bones to be fractured by heat; the resulting pattern of cracks discloses the item’s secrets. A magician with multiple appropriate runes may devise multiple variants of this nature, at the DM’s discretion.

XP costs for spells are replaced by power components: rare items chosen by the DM whose GP cost is ten times the written XP cost. Such spells are ritual in nature, with a minimum casting time of 1 minute.

Runes: The spells a magician knows are based upon runes of power. There are many such runes, and no magician ever learns them all. In order to devise a new spell, a magician must know a rune that is in some way related to the desired effect. For instance, a magician with the Fire rune might devise such spells as burning hands, scorching ray or fireball. A starting magician knows three runes, and gains a new rune at every even level.

Sometimes a rune only allows incomplete access to a spell’s effects. For instance, a magician using the Man rune to learn cure light wounds may only cure human beings with the spell. Other pertinent runes may be applied later to broaden the spell effect; the magician does not need to purchase the spell again to do so.

Item Creation: Crafted items also require power components; this doubles the raw materials cost while removing the XP cost. The caster must have an applicable Rune Focus feat for each spell to be built into the item. For each +1 bonus in a magical weapon or piece of armor, the caster must add an additional, distinct rune for which he has the Rune Focus feat. Other items may also require extra runes, at the DM’s discretion. The runes chosen for an item flavor its abilities and appearance in unique ways.

Ciaran

First Post
Common Runes of Power

Code:
[size=+1][b]Rune	Portfolio		Example spells[/b][/size]
[b]Æesir[/b]	Blessings, divine	[I]Aid, bless, commune, divine favor, [/I]
	power			[I]hallow, holy word, prayer[/I]
[b]Arrow[/b]	Missile weapons and	[I]Acid arrow, flame arrow, magic missile, [/I]
	projectiles	 	[I]magic weapon (projectiles only), ray of [/I]
				[I]enfeeblement, scorching ray[/I]
[b]Bear[/b]	Power, stamina, 	[I]Barkskin, bear’s endurance, bull’s [/I]
	health, bears		[I]strength, delay poison[/I]
[b]Beast[/b]	Animals			[I]Animal shapes, hold animal, summon [/I]
				[I]nature’s ally[/I]
[b]Bifrost[/b]	Colors, visual		[I]Color spray, disguise self, rainbow [/I]
	illusions		[I]pattern, silent image, veil[/I]
[b]Cattle[/b]	Portable wealth,	[I]Calm animals (cattle only), floating [/I]
	cattle			[I]disk, item, minor/major creation[/I]
[b]Cloak[/b]	Disguise, concealment	[I]Blur, disguise self, invisibility, [/I]
				[I]nondetection, obscuring mist[/I]
[b]Day[/b]	Light, clarity,		[I]Charm person (ljosalfar only), light, [/I]
	ljosalfar		[I]sunbeam, true seeing[/I]
[b]Dwarf[/b]	Craftsmanship,	metal,	[I]Charm person (dwarves only), fabricate, [/I]
	creation, dwarves	[I]heat metal, magic weapon (metal weapons[/I] 
				[I]only), minor creation, secure shelter[/I]
[b]Eagle[/b]	Authority, nobility,	[I]Command, dominate person, eagle’s [/I]
	eagles			[I]splendor, geas/quest[/I]
[b]Estate[/b]	Land, home, the		[I]Consecrate, meld into stone, secure [/I]
	collective good		[I]shelter, telepathic bond[/I]
[b]Eye[/b]	Perception, vision,	[I]Arcane eye, blindness, detect magic, [/I]
	reading			[I]read magic, true sight[/I]
[b]Giant[/b]	Size, power		[I]Bull’s strength, enlarge person, [/I]
				[I]righteous might[/I]
[b]Gift[/b]	Pacts, exchanges,	[I]Planar ally, refuge, sending, shield [/I]
	connections		[I]other, telepathic bond[/I]
[b]Grave[/b]	Death, corpses,		[I]Animate dead, deathwatch, gentle repose, [/I]
	necromancy		[I]power word kill[/I]
[b]Hail[/b]	Precipitation, weather	[I]Control weather, ice storm, firestorm, [/I]
				[I]storm of vengeance[/I]
[b]Harvest[/b]	Natural growth, time, 	[I]Contingency, create food and water, [/I]
	fruition		[I]haste, plant growth[/I]
[b]Healer[/b]	Healing, medicine	[I]Cure disease, heal, neutralize poison, [/I]
				[I]remove paralysis[/I]
[b]Heart[/b]	Emotion, passion	[I]Charm person, crushing despair, fear, [/I]
				[I]heroism, rage[/I]
[b]Hedge[/b]	Barriers, restriction	[I]Binding, forcecage, planar binding, [/I]
				[I]wall of force[/I]
[b]Ice[/b]	Cold, stasis		[I]Cone of cold, endure elements (heat), [/I]
				[I]hold person, slow[/I]
[b]Journey[/b]	Travel, horses		[I]Expeditious retreat, fly, longstrider, [/I]
				[I]mount, phantom steed[/I]
[b]Knot[/b]	Binding, unbinding	[I]Dispel magic, hold portal, knock, [/I]
				[I]mending, remove curse[/I]
[b]Man[/b]	Humans, the human	[I]Bull’s strength (humans only), cure light [/I]
	mind and body		[I]wounds (humans only), hold person (humans [/I]
				[I]only), major image (of humans) [/I]
[b]Mjolnir[/b]	Lightning, thunder	[I]Call lightning, lightning bolt, shocking [/I]
				[I]grasp, sound burst[/I]
[b]Moon[/b]	Change, light,		[I]Alter self, dancing lights, light, [/I]
	lycanthropes		[I]polymorph, shapechange[/I]
[b]Mouth[/b]	Language, sound	, 	[I]Enthrall, ghost sound, shout, silence, [/I]
	speech			[I]tongues, ventriloquism[/I]
[b]Night[/b]	Darkness, sleep,	[I]Charm person (svartalfar only), darkness, [/I]
	svartalfar		[I]nightmare, sleep[/I]
[b]Oak[/b]	Trees, plants, wood,	[I]Barkskin, plant growth, tree shape, tree [/I]
	durability		[I]stride, warp wood[/I]
[b]Pen[/b]	Writing, knowledge,	[I]Arcane mark, erase, read magic, secret [/I]
	runes			[I]page, symbol (any) [/I]
[b]Pyre[/b]	Flames, destruction,	[I]Burning hands, disintegrate, fireball, [/I]
	warmth			[I]dispel magic, quench[/I]
[b]Raven[/b]	Knowledge, prophecy,	[I]Fox’s cunning, legend lore, summon [/I]
	ravens			[I]nature’s ally I (raven) [/I]
[b]Sea[/b]	Water, erosion, tides,	[I]Control water, create water, rusting[/I]
	sea creatures		[I]grasp, summon nature’s ally (aquatic [/I]
				[I]creatures only), water breathing[/I]
[b]Serpent[/b]	Poison, snakes		[I]Charm animal (snakes only), cloudkill, [/I]
				[I]delay poison, poison[/I]
[b]Shield[/b]	Defense, protection	[I]Mage armor, resist energy, shield, [/I]
				[I]spell immunity, stoneskin[/I]
[b]Sky[/b]	Air, weather		[I]Control winds, fly, gaseous form, [/I]
				[I]obscuring mist, sleet storm[/I]
[b]Sword[/b]	Melee weapons, blades	[I]Blade barrier, flame blade, keen edge, [/I]
				[I]magic weapon (melee weapons only), [/I]
				[I]spiritual weapon[/I]
[b]Thorn[/b]	Aggressive defense,	[I]Fire shield, glyph of warding, spike [/I]
	thorns			[I]growth, wall of thorns[/I]
[b]Troll[/b]	Earth, stone, trolls	[I]Charm monster (trolls only), flesh to [/I]
				[I]stone, magic stone, move earth, soften [/I]
				[I]earth and stone, stone shape, wall of [/I]
				[I]stone[/I]
[b]Ulcer[/b]	Pain, illness		[I]Bestow curse, contagion, enervation, [/I]
				[I]inflict light wounds[/I]
[b]Ygg[/b]	Travel between worlds	[I]Dismissal, etherealness, gate, planar[/I]
				[I]ally,planar binding, plane shift[/I]
[b]Wolf[/b]	Violence, terror,	[I]Calm animals (canines only), doom, fear,[/I]
	wolves			[I]mage’s faithful hound, rage, summon[/I]
				[I]nature’s ally I (wolf) [/I]

Ciaran

First Post
Magician Feats

Amplify Spell [Metamagic]
You can cast spells with greater power than normal.
Benefit: An amplified spell adds +2 to your caster level for that spell. An amplified spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell’s actual level.

Craft Charged Item [Item Creation]
You can create magical items with multiple charges.
Prerequisite: Caster level 5th.
Benefit: You can create wands, staves, rods and other charged magical items. This follows the normal item creation rules.
Note: This feat wholly replaces the Craft Rod, Craft Staff and Craft Wand feats from the Player’s Handbook.

Craft Expendable Item [Item Creation]
You can create simple single-use magical items.
Prerequisite: Caster level 3rd.
Benefit: You can create potions, magic arrows, feather tokens and other magical items that can only be used once. This follows the normal item creation rules.
Note: This feat wholly replaces the Brew Potion feat from the Player’s Handbook.

Craft Permanent Item [Item Creation]
You can create magical items whose effects never fade.
Prerequisite: Caster level 5th, any item creation feat.
Benefit: You can create magic weapons, armor, rings and other permanent magical items. This follows the normal item creation rules.
Note: This feat wholly replaces the Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Wondrous Item and Forge Ring feats from the Player’s Handbook.

Extra Rune [General]
You can learn one more rune.
Prerequisite: Magician level 1st.
Benefit: You learn one additional rune of your choice.
Special: You can select this feat multiple times. Each time you take the feat, you learn a new rune.

Greater Rune Focus [General]
Choose a rune to which you have already applied the Rune Focus feat. Your spells associated with that rune are now stronger still.
Prerequisite: Rune Focus.
Benefit: Add +1 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against spells associated with the rune you select to focus on. This bonus stacks with the bonus from Rune Focus.
Special: You can select this feat multiple times. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a different rune to which you have applied the Rune Focus feat. If a spell has multiple focused runes associated with it, the benefits stack.
Note: This feat wholly replaces the Greater Spell Focus feat from the Player’s Handbook.

Metamagic Synergy [General]
You are adept in the use of metamagic.
Prerequisites: Any two metamagic feats, Skill Focus (Spellcraft).
Benefit: The spell slot modifier of the sum of all the metamagic feats applied to a spell is reduced by one, to a minimum of +1.

Penetrating Spell [Metamagic]
You can cast spells that pierce magic resistance.
Benefit: A penetrating spell adds +4 to your caster level check to penetrate spell resistance. A penetrating spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell’s actual level.

Potent Spell [Metamagic]
You can cast spells that are difficult to resist.
Benefit: A potent spell adds +2 to its DC. A potent spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell’s actual level.

Rune Focus [General]
Choose a rune that you know. All of your spells associated with that rune are more potent than normal.
Prerequisite: Knowledge of the selected rune.
Benefit: Add +1 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against spells associated with the rune you select to focus on.
Special: You can select this feat multiple times. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a different rune. If a spell has multiple focused runes associated with it, the benefits stack.
Note: This feat wholly replaces the Spell Focus feat from the Player’s Handbook.

Spell Secret [General]
You have discovered a secret trick for empowering a favorite spell.
Prerequisite: Rune Focus associated with the chosen spell.
Benefit: The chosen spell is permanently modified by one of the following metamagic feats: Amplify Spell, Enlarge Spell, Extend Spell, Penetrating Spell, Potent Spell, Still Spell or Silent Spell. The spell’s level does not change. You do not need to know the feat you apply to the spell.
Special: You can select this feat multiple times. You may choose the same spell to be modified in different ways by multiple Spell Secrets.
Note: If your Rune Focus only covers specific variants of the chosen spell, the Spell Secret only applies to those variants. If you later acquire additional Rune Focus feats for runes that apply to other variants of the spell, this extends the Spell Secret to those variants.

Last edited:

Ciaran

First Post
Ciaran said:
The class functions as a 3.5e wizard in most respects. A magician has the same hit dice, skill points, class skills and spells per day as a wizard. Like a wizard, the magician gains two new spells per level, and can learn more during play from other magicians or from books.
At-will casting in D&D would be pretty scary. Even the "Recharge Magic" system in Unearthed Arcana has long time limits on certain powerful spells (like charm person); making everything at-will would make those spells brokenly powerful.

Fieari

Explorer
True. I must have skipped over where you listed the spells per day though, and I reread it at least half a dozen times looking for where you listed that... which was why I asked.

Ciaran

First Post
Fieari said:
True. I must have skipped over where you listed the spells per day though, and I reread it at least half a dozen times looking for where you listed that... which was why I asked.
No worries; we all miss things at times. :D

Brother Richard

First Post
I Do Not Completely Understand

Can a magician only know spells o his/her's rune list? If so, then i believe this a very interesting class and i like it. :D

Last edited:

robjh

First Post
Ciaran said:
At-will casting in D&D would be pretty scary. Even the "Recharge Magic" system in Unearthed Arcana has long time limits on certain powerful spells (like charm person); making everything at-will would make those spells brokenly powerful.

Yep. Most non-D&D systems have some type of built-in limitation for using spells to compensate for the lack of advance preparation. Usually is something like an energy cost or requires a skill roll. In this case, however, perhaps the use of a rune to cast a spell creates a type of mana drain associated with that rune. The next time the magician wants to cast a spell using that rune, it could require a higher level spell slot. At least until the rune has had time to restore its mana. This would prevent the player from abusing a particular spell or group of spells.

Remove ads